How to File a Property Claim
June 14, 2022
When a natural disaster like a tornado, flood or earthquake strikes, the last thing you want to think about is going back to survey the damage and file a claim. However, this important step will ensure that you are reimbursed for damages and will allow your family to regain a sense of security.
Here are the seven major steps to take when filing a property claim:
- Protect property from further damage.
- Cover the property if it is exposed to the elements.
- Make temporary repairs, if reasonable and necessary.
- Maintain a record of all expenses incurred.
- Take photos of damage (if possible).
- Prepare an inventory of damaged person property.
- Retain damaged property until a claims adjuster approves its disposal (unless a danger to safety exists).
- Notify police in the case of theft.
- Expect to be contacted by the claims adjuster within two working days. Please call Verge Insurance Group if you have not been contacted within that timeframe.
- Be prepared to provide additional information as requested by the claims adjuster.